Florida Gardiner Scholarship
The Florida Gardiner Scholarship is a statewide program that provides access to customized educational resources for students with disabilities. This scholarship can help pay for services such as tutors, note-takers, or assistive technology. The Gardiner Scholarship also provides funding for summer camps and education programs outside of school hours.
What is the Florida Gardiner Scholarship?
The Florida Gardiner Scholarship is a scholarship program that provides students with disabilities access to customized educational resources. The Gardiner Scholarship is funded by the Florida Department of Education, but administered by the Florida Department of Children and Families.
To be eligible for this program, you must have a disability (any physical or mental condition that substantially limits a major life activity), demonstrate financial need and meet one of these requirements:
How does a family apply for the Gardiner Scholarship?
You can apply online, by phone or in person. To apply online, you’ll need to register and create an account before submitting your application. You can also call (800) 688-9493 or mail in a paper application.
To apply in person, visit one of our offices during regular business hours and submit the required materials.
What can families spend the Gardiner Scholarship on?
The Gardiner Scholarship can be used for a variety of educational, training and career services. You may use it to pay for:
- Education-related expenses, including tuition, fees and books
- Housing costs (including room and board)
- Transportation expenses to and from school
- Personal care items such as prescription drugs or medical supplies; other living expenses such as clothing, household necessities and childcare; treatment for injuries you suffered as a result of your accident; therapy if needed after your accident; counseling services if they help you deal with the injury caused by your accident
The Gardiner Scholarship can contribute to:
The Gardiner Scholarship can contribute to:
- The cost of tuition.
- The cost of books.
- The cost of transportation.
- The cost of tutoring, such as for students with learning disabilities or who are English-language learners (ELLs). ELLs may need extra help in order to stay on track and meet graduation requirements, especially if they don’t have parents who speak English at home or if they’ve been out of school for a while before starting college classes. Tutors can also be helpful when you’re working with professors on projects outside class time, such as doing research papers that require special expertise that your professor doesn’t possess but you do!
- Assistive technology, which might include a computerized voice system so someone who is deaf or hard-of-hearing can listen to lectures in their dorm room instead of missing important information because he wasn’t able hear them from where he sat (say, 200 feet away).
Additional benefits of the Gardiner Scholarship include:
- The Gardiner Scholarship is for students with disabilities and is available to Florida residents.
- You must have a documented disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 to qualify.
- Your academic accomplishments and extracurricular activities may be taken into consideration when you apply for this scholarship. These achievements will not automatically guarantee you a Gardiner Scholarship, but they could help make your application more competitive against other applicants.
- Additional benefits of the Gardiner Scholarship include:
- Award amounts range between $2,500 and $5,000 per year depending on academic performance (50% tuition)
- The total amount of funding awarded over four years cannot exceed $10,000; however, individual awards may vary based on merit or financial need (up to 100% tuition).
The Florida Gardiner Scholarship provides Florida students with disabilities access to customized educational resources.
The Florida Gardiner Scholarship is a financial aid program for students with disabilities. The Scholarships are designed to help students reach their full potential and pursue post-secondary education or career training and employment.
The Florida Gardiner Scholarship provides funding for specialized education and support services that may not be available through other sources. Special funding will also assist you in coordinating your educational plan with your family, school district, private providers, or others who can help you achieve your goals of attending college or pursuing a career.
The Florida Gardiner Scholarship is a great way to provide Florida students with disabilities access to customized educational resources. The scholarship can cover the cost of tuition and fees, as well as up to $10,000 for other expenses like books and transportation costs. To learn more about this scholarship or how your child might qualify for it, please visit our website at www.fgsflorida.org/admissions/scholarships-grants-and-loans/.